SCOTLAND'S OLDEST PURPOSE BUILT CONCERT HALL
St Cecilia’s Hall, which today is a part of the University of Edinburgh, has been thoughtfully redeveloped by Page Park Architects to create a more inclusive and user-friendly space.
Scotland’s oldest purpose-built concert hall, Category A listed St Cecilia’s Hall dates back to 1763. The original concert room has been restored to its former glory and the gallery spaces have been modernised to house the University’s world-class collection of historic instruments, brought together under the same roof for the first time.
To provide the ancillary facilities needed in a modern-day museum, Page Park Architects created a new, modern entrance with improved and updated walkways and circulation areas. Drawing inspiration from the original dark-coloured flooring in the building, the architects specified Junckers’ 140mm wide Black Oak Harmony as flooring and wall panelling in the new areas.
In addition, Junckers’ Dark Coco Rustic Oil was used to restore the rich, brown colour of the original wood flooring in the concert room and gallery spaces. The elegant, elliptical shaped room has been in continuous use since the eighteenth century. It holds audiences of up to 200 people, the perfect size and setting for performances on the musical instruments of the collection.
Photographer: Jim Stephenson
Page Park Architects
Massiv 1-Stavs Plankgolv